Witches go seeking fifth home victory
IPSWICH Evening Star Witches will be seeking their fifth home Sky Sports Elite League win in a row when they take on bottom-placed Belle Vue at Foxhall Stadium tonight (start 7.
IPSWICH Evening Star Witches will be seeking their fifth home Sky Sports Elite League win in a row when they take on bottom-placed Belle Vue at Foxhall Stadium tonight (start 7.30pm).
But team manager Mike Smillie, who missed last night's meeting at Poole because of work commitments, says they still have work to do. “With respect to the sides we have beat they were all under strength for one reason or another,” he said.
“We will be given a test of how far we have moved forward this season when we take on Coventry at home next week.”
Ipswich's home winning run has seen them beat a Peter Karlsson-less Wolverhampton, the now-defunct Oxford, and depleted Reading and Eastbourne sides. “The run has been good for confidence, although Marcin Rempala is still finding it hard,” added Smillie, who admitted Ipswich's interest in Jesper B. Jensen. But he warned: “Jesper has nearly three weeks of his ban to run for withdrawing his services and his average will not be reduced until July 1. And if the authorities erase all Oxford's records this year, Jesper will keep his eight-point average he gained at Peterborough in 2006, which will not make it easy to fit him in.”
You may also want to watch:
Joe Screen is a doubt for the Aces tonight after injuring an arm on Monday in the British Final, while Kai Laukkanen is to be replaced in the Belle Vue side by Antonio Lindback next week.
n One-time Ipswich target Antonio Lindback has ended his British exile by signing for Belle Vue. The Brazilian-born Grand Prix star moves to Manchester on loan from Poole and makes his debut on Monday against Lakeside in place of Kaj Laukkanen. He will not ride against the Witches tonight.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
Tonight's likely line-ups
Ipswich: A Shields, K Jansson, C Louis, Z Suchecki, R Miskowiak, M Rempala, T Kroner.
Belle Vue: S Stead, J Wright, J Screen, K Laukkanen, K Doolan, R Fisher, A Skornicki.