Witches need one final League win to put more pressure on Plymouth Devils in the race for the play-offs
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich ‘Sackers’ Witches will look to end their regular Premier League campaign with a third straight victory on Thursday night – this time against Peterborough Panthers.
Ipswich can put themselves 12 points clear in the final play-off place should they pick up all three points tonight – leaving play-off rivals Plymouth, who have five meetings still to race, needing 13 points from those fixtures – Ipswich’s race points difference being superior.
The home team welcome back Nico Covatti, pictured, tonight after his finger injury – and are at full strength for the first time since July.
That is good news against a Peterborough side who have already qualified for the play-offs but who have suffered a host of injuries this season – the latest being skipper Ulrich Ostergaard, while former Mildenhall Fen Tiger Lewis Blackbird announced his retirement from the sport last week.
The loss of No.1 Ollie Allen during the first few weeks of the season and the shock move to bring in Ben Barker for teen sensation Robert Lambert recently, means it has been nothing if not interesting at the East of England Showground.
Barker and King’s Lynn guest Nicklas Porsing will lead the visitors charge. But after recent home performances, the Witches should attack the meeting with confidence.
Witches: 1. Danny King (C) 9.49, 2. Cameron Heeps 6.04, 3. Gino Manzares 5.44, 4. Rohan Tungate 7.07, 5. Nico Covatti 7.55, 6. Stefan Nielsen 4.34, 7. Ashley Morris 4.19
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 4 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Hazel O'Connor's Sudbury shows cancelled due to 'serious medical incident'
- 8 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 9 'If we're clever there's lots to learn' - McKenna on Town's Bolton lessons
- 10 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
Panthers: 1. Nick Porsing (G), 2. Emil Grondal 7.00, 3. R/R, 4. Michael Palm Toft 6.20, 5. Ben Barker 7.55, 6. Rafa Konopka 3.00, 7. Simon Lambert (C) 5.40
Mike’s prediction: Witches 51 Panthers 39
For twitter updates throughout the meeting follow @Mike_Bacon