Bowman scores in injury-time to earn Woodpeckers a cup replay
- Credit: Archant
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Woodbridge Town 2 Clapton FC 2 Woodbridge Town forced a replay on Tuesday night at Clapton as George Bowman’s free kick in the fourth minute of injury time made it 2-2 after the Woodpeckers fought back superbly from two goals down.
Baden Holmes’ effort from distance went over the bar after seven minutes for the home side, and a minute later Ryan Keeble’s through ball found Kelsey Trotter but his shot was well saved by away keeper Jack Francis.
Alex Greggor’s corner was then headed over the bar by Callum Sinclair after 20 minutes. But the away side took the lead after 25 minutes with their first attack when Jerome Martell deflected the ball in to the net from a corner kick.
Bowman’s free kick was on target after 31 minutes and Carlos Edwards’ shot was deflected for a corner after 34 minutes. Ryan Reed’s corner was headed onto the bar by Eamon Payne for the away side after 41 minutes and Giovanni Palmer’s shot was well saved by home keeper Alfie Stronge just before half time.
Clapton made it 2-0 after 49 minutes when Reed’s shot was well parried by Stronge but Reed was first to the rebound and made no mistake.
Edwards’ shot went wide of the post after 74 minutes for the Woodpeckers but then Keeble’s pass found Sinclair and he made it 2-1 with an excellent first time finish after 76 minutes.
Bowman’s curling free kick after 78 minutes went inches wide of the far post as the Woodpeckers went in hunt of the leveller, while Keeble’s shot was deflected for a corner after 84 minutes.
- 1 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 2 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 5 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-0 loss at Charlton
- 7 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Charlton loss
- 9 Ex-Celtic boss Lennon linked with Town job
- 10 Charlton Athletic 2-0 Ipswich Town: Limp Blues soundly beaten
Bowman’s free kick after 89 minutes was headed over the bar by Jake Green, but after 94 minutes with keeper Stronge up front, Bowman’s free kick hit the corner of the net to make it 2-2 and earn a replay.
Woodbridge: Stronge, Rea (Capt), Holmes, Southgate, Scopes, Bowman, Sinclair, Greggor, Trotter, Edwards, Keeble, Sub: Green for Greggor 60 Mins, Unused: Singh, Leech, Naylor.
Clapton: Francis, Vigo, Adowero, Payne, Ebengo, Morris, Reed, Greenslade, Isoha, Martell, Palmer, Sub: Dingli.