Bowman scores in injury-time to earn Woodpeckers a cup replay
- Credit: Archant
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Woodbridge Town 2 Clapton FC 2 Woodbridge Town forced a replay on Tuesday night at Clapton as George Bowman’s free kick in the fourth minute of injury time made it 2-2 after the Woodpeckers fought back superbly from two goals down.
Baden Holmes’ effort from distance went over the bar after seven minutes for the home side, and a minute later Ryan Keeble’s through ball found Kelsey Trotter but his shot was well saved by away keeper Jack Francis.
Alex Greggor’s corner was then headed over the bar by Callum Sinclair after 20 minutes. But the away side took the lead after 25 minutes with their first attack when Jerome Martell deflected the ball in to the net from a corner kick.
Bowman’s free kick was on target after 31 minutes and Carlos Edwards’ shot was deflected for a corner after 34 minutes. Ryan Reed’s corner was headed onto the bar by Eamon Payne for the away side after 41 minutes and Giovanni Palmer’s shot was well saved by home keeper Alfie Stronge just before half time.
Clapton made it 2-0 after 49 minutes when Reed’s shot was well parried by Stronge but Reed was first to the rebound and made no mistake.
You may also want to watch:
Edwards’ shot went wide of the post after 74 minutes for the Woodpeckers but then Keeble’s pass found Sinclair and he made it 2-1 with an excellent first time finish after 76 minutes.
Bowman’s curling free kick after 78 minutes went inches wide of the far post as the Woodpeckers went in hunt of the leveller, while Keeble’s shot was deflected for a corner after 84 minutes.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 7 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Ipswich Town 0-0 MK Dons: Blues again fail to register shot on target in drab draw
- 10 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
Bowman’s free kick after 89 minutes was headed over the bar by Jake Green, but after 94 minutes with keeper Stronge up front, Bowman’s free kick hit the corner of the net to make it 2-2 and earn a replay.
Woodbridge: Stronge, Rea (Capt), Holmes, Southgate, Scopes, Bowman, Sinclair, Greggor, Trotter, Edwards, Keeble, Sub: Green for Greggor 60 Mins, Unused: Singh, Leech, Naylor.
Clapton: Francis, Vigo, Adowero, Payne, Ebengo, Morris, Reed, Greenslade, Isoha, Martell, Palmer, Sub: Dingli.