Southwold keep up their league assault after fine win over Woodbridge
- Credit: Archant
London 3 Eastern Counties League Southwold 33 Woodbridge Warriors 6
Southwold had a big objective for this late season bash – a big bonus point victory to set them up for a League win.
Woodbridge, solid in sixth, fancied spoiling this and an early line-out steal showed Southwold’s intent as their first attack was countered by some crunching hits from Matt Bowman, Tom Stokes and Angus Clogg who over-kicked for territory on the small pitch.
A midfield scrum saw centre Ollie Carlstroem draw the defence and wing Jacob English score.
Despite conceding too many penalties Woodbridge pressed upfield for Clogg to miss a penalty attempt before being pressurised under a long ball from fly-half Callum Anthony as both side tried to play in the opposition end.
You may also want to watch:
Woodbridge resisted a long period of assault in its own 22 only to lose the clearance line-out as Southwold regained the upper hand only to forfeit a penalty and lose a player in the ruck.
Clogg took the three points. The restart scrum released backs Cemil Duruk, Carlstroem and English across field where the forwards mauled over and wild-haired Desmond Brett scored.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 4 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 5 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 6 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 7 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 8 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 9 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 10 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
Woodbridge restarted under pressure, Jono Cooke trying to charge out of trouble, but a long pass from Anthony to the left wing took play to the visitor’s 22 where they rebuffed repeated pick-and-drives for fly-half JP Hart to clear.
Clogg took another three points into the wind after a frenetic series of Woodbridge charges from Jeff Buchanan, Luke Wattam and Clogg.
Southwold renewed the assault, returning to the Woodbridge 22 where their free-running backs moved from wing to wing before centre Duruk battered his way over.
Another high tackle took the Warriors to 14 men as they won a scrum in the home 22 and thumped upfield through Adam Plummer, James Porter and Ed Banthorpe. Southwold recovered, with hooker James Hill making a great run supported by No.8 Dom Hill.
A Woodbridge scrum deep in their 22 was pounced upon and left wing James Barton scored out wide, reliable Josh Walsh converting.
With the bonus point secured it was left to Jacob English to add another seven points and set Southwold up as deserved joint league leaders with Stowmarket.