Ten-man U’s salvage a point at Yeovil after Barnes sees red
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Colchester Uni
Yeovil Town 1 Colchester United 1
Ten-man Colchester United salvaged a draw at Yeovil Town this afternoon, to keep alive their slender play-off hopes.
It looked all over for the U’s, when they conceded a 53rd minute opening goal to Jake Gray, followed by keeper Dillon Barnes seeing red in the aftermath to that goal.
Barnes was sent off by referee Peter Wright, after clashing with Tristan Abrahams.
But the visitors refused to buckle and Tom Eastman swept home an equaliser, following Brennan Dickenson’s 75th minute corner, to secure a point.
You may also want to watch:
As a result, John McGreal’s men remain two points adrift of the top seven, with just two matches remaining – seventh-placed Exeter City drew 1-1 at Stevenage. And they have also climbed a place to eighth.
It was a goalless first half, although the U’s had several chances to get their noses up front.
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 4 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 5 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 6 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 7 'Managers don't get enough credit' - Walton delighted as Town deliver big win for boss Cook at Pompey
- 8 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 9 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 10 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
Dickenson, operating as a left-back, had a header saved in the eighth minute, and Abo Eisa was also denied by keeper Baxter from his shot on 25 minutes, before Tom Lapslie fired wide.
Eisa peppered the target with another shot in the 52nd minute, but it all went wrong for the U’s just a minute later.
Gray fired Yeovil ahead, and to make matters worse, keeper Barnes was shown a straight red after an altercation with Abrahams.
So on came substitute Ethan Ross to make his senior debut, in difficult circumstances, with midfielder Sam Saunders the man to give way.
Frankie Kent so nearly equalised for the visitors in the 58th minute, just two minutes after Barnes’ red card, when his header from a Dickenson’s free-kick rattled the bar.
But the U’s did equalise in the 75th minute, thanks to Eastman’s calm side-footed finish from Dickenson’s corner.
YEOVIL: Baxter, Browne (sub Ojo, 35), Sowunmi, Mugabi, James, Gray, D’Almeida, Pattison (sub Arquin, 76), Abrahams, Duffus (sub Fisher, 86), Dobre. Unused subs: Nelson, Worthington, Zoko, Rogers, Ojo.
COLCHESTER: Barnes, Jackson, Eastman, Kent, Dickenson, Lapslie, Saunders (sub Ross, 56), Senior (sub Norris, 80), Szmodics, Eisa (sub Mandron, 67), Nouble. Unused subs: Kensdale, Stevenson, Chilvers, Wright.
Referee: Peter Wright