Young Town side are held to draw

PRE-SEASON FRIENDLYWoodbridge Town 2Ipswich Town reserves 2By David VincentA YOUNG Ipswich Town reserve side had to settle for a 2-2 draw as honours ended even against Woodbridge Town at Notcutts Park last night.


Woodbridge Town 2

Ipswich Town reserves 2

By David Vincent

You may also want to watch:

A YOUNG Ipswich Town reserve side had to settle for a 2-2 draw as honours ended even against Woodbridge Town at Notcutts Park last night.

As Ipswich manager Steve McCall rang the changes in the second 45 minutes with Town seeming to be comfortable with their 2-1 lead, Woodbridge struck again.

Most Read

From a flighted free-kick by Ben Miller, Jamie Buckle was first to the ball to beat keeper Scott Peat with a powerful header.

Ipswich dominated much of the game and held the ball for long periods of possession but couldn't turn it into the expected goals.

Woodbridge had gone ahead, against the run of play, after 19 minutes when Jamie Baker flighted in a 25-yard free-kick into the top corner.

His manager Colwyn Rowe said: "He does that every week."

Ipswich had gone close before through Liam Craig, Adem Atay and Craig Reid had been hauled over in the penalty box without a spot-kick awarded.

Ipswich were fluent in midfield with Atay and Alfie Kamara confident on the ball but they didn't exploit that fully until the second-half.

Soon after the restart Atay saw a strong effort on goal blocked and it looped up and got behind the defence, where Town's Scott Mitchell was the first player to react and scored easily.

Ipswich featured Erdem Artun in defence in his first game back since December and he drove forward, featuring in some good right-wing moves.

Another long-term absentee, Matt Robinson, came on in the second half and he made the second goal for Ipswich with a perfect left-wing cross for another sub, Billy Clarke, to head home.

As Ipswich looked like running away with the game, Kamara, Atay and Robinson were denied as they looked likely to score leading the way open for Woodbridge to grab their equaliser.

Ipswich man of the match Atay said: "I enjoyed it tonight but it was a very tough game.

"I prefer playing in midfield where I can get forward and take people on rather than full-back where I was last year. Now I have got to score some goals too."

Woodbridge coach Rowe said: "I am pleased with the lads, they are better technically than us but I can't fault the effort. They won't be playing against players as good as this every week."

Steve McCall was disappointed not to win the game after being 2-1 up.

"They were two sloppy goals to concede. All credit to Woodbridge they worked hard and it was a good effort from them and it was certainly a good work out for us," he said.

Ipswich: Peat, Artun, Okay, Flack, Hogg, Mitchell, Atay, Kamara, Reid, Craig and Barron. Subs used: Robinson, Preau, Krause, Clarke, Manning, McEntaggart and Nordin.

Woodbridge: Dixon, Dearsley, Bailey, Coleman, Don George, Dan George, Bartholomew, Baker, Howell, Harewood and Laws. Subs used: Gales, Smythe, Buckle, Miller, Ager and Trevivian.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter