Bury St Edmunds: Former Rolling Stone Bill Wyman to play Abbey Gardens gig
FORMER Rolling Stones bass guitarist Bill Wyman is to stage a gig in the historic ruins of a west Suffolk town.
Mr Wyman, 64, will play a one-off show in the Abbey Gardens in Bury St Edmunds as part of Abbey Fest this summer.
The legendary rocker will thrill fans with a live set by his new band, Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings on Sunday, July 24.
Mr Wyman will be joined by special guests for the picnic-style concert such as Andy Fairweather Low, Georgie Fame, Albert Lee and Beverly Skeete.
A Suffolk resident, Mr Wyman lives at Gedding Hall in Gedding, where he has researched much of the history of the building.
You may also want to watch:
The guitarist, who played with the Rolling Stones for more than 30 years, is also well known in for his metal detecting around his Suffolk estate.
But it will be in his newest musical guise that Wyman makes an appearance this year, playing the classic rhythm and blues which first inspired him to take up a guitar as a teenager.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 9 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
Graham Broad, Gerant Watkins, Terry Taylor, Nick Payne and Frank Mead are also set to join Wyman on stage for the exclusive event.
Formed in 1995 after Wyman left the Rolling Stones in 1993, the Rhythm Kings was a collaboration between Mr Wyman and Terry Taylor.
The Abbey Gardens concert will form part of the three-night Abbey Fest in the town, which will run from July 22 to 24.
Early bird tickets for the show are available on 01603 508050 or at www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk.
They are priced �33.50 adults, �10 children under 14 and under fives go free.
Balaam’s Music in Risbygate Street, Bury, also have tickets on 01284 766933.
Gates open 5pm and the show ends at 10pm.
For more details, visit www.billwyman.com