DVD of the week: Tremors
CULT horror movie Tremors, re-released on Blu-ray, is Richard Bryson’s pick of this week’s DVDs.
DVD of the week: Tremors (4 Front, Blu-ray)
Re-released on Blu-ray giving us the excuse to highlight the pleasures of this silly but very good mix of horror and humour.
Giant worms are springing up out of the desert in middle America, attacking citizens like Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward, and director Ron Underwood follows the lessons of Jaws by hiding the monsters until well into the film.
You may also want to watch:
It saves on the budget and builds up the tension.
As boardwalks splinter, fenceposts topple or disappear and buildings collapse Bacon and Ward are great as wise-cracking, have-a-go heroes.
- 1 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 6 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 7 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 8 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 9 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 10 Is this the most perfect pizza in Suffolk?
They are more bemused than terrorised and even if the worms begin to look less and less menacing the action keeps you hooked.
There have been sequels but none are as winningly goofy as the original.