DVD of the week: True Grit
AWARD-winning Western True Grit, starring Oscar winner Jeff Bridges, is Richard Bryson’s pick of the DVDs out to buy this week.
True Grit (Paramount, �12.99)
Why remake this classic John Wayne Western when the original still stands the test of time? Possibly because the Coen brothers were drawn to the odd characters and rich, fruity language of Charles Portis’s novel.
Their knack of capturing the bizarre runs through this good-looking film making it by turns a classic Western and a quirky comedy/drama.
Jeff Bridges is perfect for the Wayne role of hard-bitten, drink-loving frontiersman though you won’t be able to make out everything he says such is his gravelly, low-key drawl.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Damon plays the Glen Campbell part, a Texas Ranger, a little too full of himself, while Hailee Steinfield as the young girl out for revenge is excellent.
It moves along at its own leisurely pace but the landscapes and haunting score keep you watching until that famous, climatic shoot-out.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 5 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 6 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 10 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's