Food safety officers give top rating to Limes Hotel just weeks after owner appears in court over health and hygiene breaches
- Credit: Archant
A year and a half ago, a Suffolk hotel had the lowest possible food hygiene rating, with kitchen conditions so poor, a court was told the risk of harm to staff and customers was “very high”.
But staff at the Limes Hotel in Needham Market are now celebrating after receiving a “five” hygiene rating from the Food Standards Agency.
Head chef Marc Rogers, who took on the role when the hotel had a zero rating, said: “It’s a really amazing feeling for me and the team.
“It might sound silly but it was an emotional day getting the rating.
“For the business it’s really good.
You may also want to watch:
“When I took the kitchen over it was very dirty.”
Last month Richard Cattermole and Waterhand Limited, company his wife Judith owns, were ordered to pay more than £44,000 after a number of health and hygiene risks relating to a visit by food safety officers following a complaint from a neighbour on October 24, 2013.
Mr Rogers, who looks after a team of six staff, added since the zero rating Mr Cattermole had invested in an extraction system into the kitchen, and added implementing systems and keeping on top of cleaning turned the kitchen around.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 5 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 6 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
He added: “There were celebrations when we got the rating, we all had a pint. For the team it’s a big achievement.
“We want it to be one of the most sought after places to come and eat in Suffolk.”