Framlingham: Ed Sheeran battles Example for singles chart number one spot
SUFFOLK pop sensation Ed Sheeran is in the running for the number one spot in the singles charts this weekend.
The 20-year-old singer-songwriter was at number two in the midweek charts with his latest release, You Need Me, I Don’t Need You.
He was reported to be just a few hundred sales off the number one spot, which was taken by singer and rapper Example with his latest single, Stay Awake.
Both are new entries to the chart.
It was Example who stopped Sheeran’s debut major label single, The A Team, from topping the charts in June.
That single went on to sell more than 300,000 copies and remains at number nine in this week’s chart.
Sheeran, from Framlingham, signed a six-album deal with Atlantic Records at the start of the year after the success of his five self-funded EPs.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 3 'Ipswich will be my club for the rest of my days' - Chambers on Town return
- 4 'Childhood dream' as opening date nears for Suffolk coastal restaurant
- 5 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 6 Range Rover stolen from home in east Suffolk
- 7 Buildings damaged after reports of people running on rooftops
- 8 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 9 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 10 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
His debut album, called +, is due to be released on September 12, ahead of a sold out UK tour.
The star is scheduled to appear at Ipswich’s HMV store on Sunday, September 11, to sign copies of his CDs for fans.