Framlingham: Ed Sheeran battles Example for singles chart number one spot
SUFFOLK pop sensation Ed Sheeran is in the running for the number one spot in the singles charts this weekend.
The 20-year-old singer-songwriter was at number two in the midweek charts with his latest release, You Need Me, I Don’t Need You.
He was reported to be just a few hundred sales off the number one spot, which was taken by singer and rapper Example with his latest single, Stay Awake.
Both are new entries to the chart.
It was Example who stopped Sheeran’s debut major label single, The A Team, from topping the charts in June.
You may also want to watch:
That single went on to sell more than 300,000 copies and remains at number nine in this week’s chart.
Sheeran, from Framlingham, signed a six-album deal with Atlantic Records at the start of the year after the success of his five self-funded EPs.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 6 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 7 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery
His debut album, called +, is due to be released on September 12, ahead of a sold out UK tour.
The star is scheduled to appear at Ipswich’s HMV store on Sunday, September 11, to sign copies of his CDs for fans.