Gallery: Carnival fun returns to seaside town
A CARNIVAL atmosphere enveloped Aldeburgh as the annual three-day celebration of music, arts and community continued by the seaside.
Yesterday saw the town swathed in festive tradition.
A full day of carnival events began early with swimming races in the sea and children’s sports contests.
Aldeburgh’s Lifeboat crew was launched to a rapturous reception before the afternoon carnival procession set off in earnest.
Carnival Queen Rachel Newton visited the fun fair with her attendants, Phoebe Hayhurst and Lily Mayhew, before taking in the evening’s entertainment in the High Street.
You may also want to watch:
Performers included The Knots of May, samba dancers, and the Band of the Prince of Wales’s Division who also led the Chinese Lantern Procession to the beach where the day was rounded off with a fantastic firework display.
This year’s carnival theme was ‘Music, Music, Music’ and embraced composers, dance, opera, ballet, West End productions and even the cinema.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
Diana Biddlecombe, a member of the carnival committee, said the event had gone “very well” and was worth all the hard work that had been put in over the past year.
She said: “It’s a splendid event and it’s lovely to have something that’s so good for all the family.
“It’s all gone well, the weather has been kind and the theme of ‘Music, Music, Music’ has gone down very well.”
A barbecue and disco are set to round off this year’s carnival at Aldeburgh Community and Sports Centre on Saturday, August 21 from 7pm.