Gallery: Toe-tapping fun as students from Ipswich School step back in time for Guys and Dolls
Ipswich School has been transformed into 1950s New York for a pupils’ production of the hit musical Guys and Dolls.
Gambler Sky Masterson is challenged by Nathan Detroit to take missionary Miss Sarah Brown on a date to Havana. The bet is for $1,000 so Nathan can finance an illegal crap game unbeknownst to his long-suffering fianc�e Miss Adelaide.
More than 60 students, aged 14-18, are involved on stage, backstage and in the band. They’ve been rehearsing since the first week of September.
“Two years ago we had a show we had to postpone because of the snow so when I woke up Wednesday my heart sank. I’m just praying for sun now,” says head of drama Lindsey Ward, who’s also directing and choreographed the musical.
“Rehearsals went brilliantly. The students are loving it. They don’t want to be in school today, I think they’d like it to be the end of the day already.”
You may also want to watch:
Students stage several productions throughout the academic year.
“We hadn’t done something which was really funny and a big musical. Guys and Dolls is funny, has great costumes, is a great setting and has some classic numbers people know like Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ The Boat and If I Were A Bell.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 6 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 9 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 10 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
“It’ll be a good crowd-pleaser, audiences will see the incredible talent we have at Ipswich School and have a wonderful, toe-tapping evening... they’ll go out with a smile on their faces.”
Guys and Dolls continues at the Great School, off Ivry Street, Ipswich, until December 7. Tickets are available from the school office on 01473 408300.