Gallery: UK’s best photographers showcase work in Ipswich
- Credit: Archant
Some of the UK’s most stunning photographs will be on show at Ipswich Town Hall this week.
The Beyond Group’s National Photographic Exhibition 2013 will feature 180 prints and 500 digital images representing the best work of about 400 photographers from across the British Isles.
There were three categories - colour, monochrome and nature - with this year’s exhibition attracting 3,700 entries. The display will include photographs in many genres including landscapes, portraits, wildlife, sport, urban, travel and creative/fantasy.
It is a rare chance for the public to see such photographic images, as it is one of only 20 such national exhibitions in the UK and the only one to be held in East Anglia.
The exhibition is being staged by the Beyond Group of Photographers, one of the top photographic clubs in the country, which formed in 2005 and is based in Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
Consisting of only 15 members, the enthusiastic group has staged this exhibition for the past six years.
“In 2007 we had a dream,” explains Liz Cutting, one of the founder members of the Beyond Group.
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 3 A12 closed following serious collision
- 4 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 5 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 6 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 7 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 8 Missing dad wanted in connection with assault which happened day before he disappeared
- 9 Ipswich Debenhams to close on May 4 after the building is sold
- 10 Air ambulance called to medical emergency
“We decided it would be a great idea to organise a national open photography exhibition. We did some planning but with a membership of only 15 and about £20 in the bank, this was going to be a huge adventure.
“Local sponsorship from 1st Graphic Computers, Ipswich, helped us with the initial cash needed. The first exhibition was digital only and went extremely well. Now in our sixth year, the exhibition has a large print section and has grown to be one of the major exhibitions in the country.”
It’s a very demanding task for all involved in the organisation of the exhibition including the three selectors, all excellent photographers themselves, two of whom each year are from outside the region.
The selectors have the difficult job of judging the 3,700 images on show and choosing the gold medal images and other awards. The selectors this year are Gwen and Phil Charnock, founder members of the highly successful and world famous Wigan10 Foto Club and Jim Price from the Beyond Group.
The free exhibition will be open in the council chamber of Ipswich Town Hall from 1.30pm-4.30pm on Tuesday, September 17 and from 10.30am-4.30pm on Wednesday, September 18-21. The presentation of awards will take place at 2pm on Saturday and is also open free to the public.
For more information about the Beyond Group visit www.beyondgroup.info