Gathering memories of Ipswich Town’s 1978 FA Cup glory
Do you remember where you were on May 6 1978? Were you singing your heart out on the terraces of Wembley Stadium as Ipswich Town subdued The Gunners, defied the pundits and added the FA Cup to its trophy cabinet?
Had you been a loyal supporter who had stoically followed them through what had been a rocky season in the league and were delighted to see them find their form in the FA Cup competition?
Did you get to meet the players or Sir Bobby Robson during the cup celebrations? Did you organise or take part in a coach trip to Wembley to cheer on The Superblues. These are memories which never fade and remain important milestones in our lives.
Now you can share them and help shape an important anniversary project which is being organised by the New Wolsey and the Ipswich Town Supporters Club to mark the 40th anniversary of Ipswich Town’s historic FA Cup victory.
The New Wolsey Theatre is looking for people’s memories of the big day and the lead up to the game as part of an event being tentatively scheduled for the spring 2018.
You may also want to watch:
The creative team at the Ipswich theatre is asking for stories from those who were caught up in the events of 1978, from the third round victory in Cardiff in January to the final in May, and the euphoria of the victory parade.
Stories that are funny or quirky, co-incidences and twists of fate, the scramble for tickets, the making of banners, trips to Bristol, Millwall, or Highbury for the Semi; and even if you were not a fan or supporter but got caught up somehow in the events of that spring, the theatre would be love to hear from you.
- 2 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 3 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 7 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 8 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 9 Disused village Post Office reopening as deli and coffee house
- 10 'It's time to embrace a new challenge' - New Ipswich chief announces Bristol City exit
The Ipswich Town Supporters Club is co-ordinating the collection of these reminiscences which will also be used as part of the ITFC Heritage Project, and by the EADT for a commemorative publication.
Send your stories directly to the Club, including your phone contact details, via email using the subject line ‘FA Cup Memory’. Alternatively, you can contact the Supporter’s Club by visiting their website. Use the same subject line ‘FA Cup Memory’ to submit. Your memories should be kept to a maximum of 500 words. Do submit any photos or images you may have to support your memory story. Your details will be shared with the New Wolsey Theatre so you may be contacted about your memories of that great moment in Suffolk’s sporting history.