Ipswich: New Wolsey short-listed for prestigious theatre award
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich’s New Wolsey Theatre is in the running to be crowned The Stage’s Regional Theatre of the Year.
It’s on the shortlist alongside current title holder Sheffield Theatres and Canterbury’s Marlowe Theatre.
The annual awards, now in their fourth year, celebrate performing arts organisations and the teams behind them.
The New Wolsey’s smash hit musical Our House, which opened at the Civic Drive venue before touring the UK, and its efforts to forge partnerships with other organisations both charitable and commercial impressed the judges.
“This year’s spring programme proves the point – it is co-producing The Threepenny Opera with Graeae Theatre Company, Nottingham Playhouse, Birmingham Repertory Theatre and West Yorkshire Playhouse. It is also set to host Talawa Theatre Company’s revival of the National Theatre’s Moon on a Rainbow Shawl and a regional tour of musical Betty Blue Eyes, among others,” they said.
You may also want to watch:
“In an area where arts provision is less available than in other parts of the UK, the theatre’s wide-ranging programme – bolstered by events such as its annual multidisciplinary Pulse festival – makes the New Wolsey a worthy candidate.”
Peter Rowe, the theatre’s artistic director, said since re-opening in 2001, the aim has been to create the most diverse programme of work for every kind of theatre-goer.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 6 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 7 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 8 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 9 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 10 Northampton Town 3-0 Ipswich Town: Another night of misery for Blues as goal drought goes on
They were particularly delighted the nomination recognised the range of performance work currently taking place under the New Wolsey Theatre umbrella and its pioneering collaborations with commercial producers, other regional theatres, touring companies and individual artists.
“We are extremely proud this work, made with and for the people of Ipswich and Suffolk, benefitting from their enthusiastic support, is now gaining a following up and down the country and national recognition within our industry.
“The Stage nomination shows the New Wolsey Theatre has now become the model of a thriving and enterprising regional theatre.”
All category winners will be announced on January 31 at The Stage New Year Party at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London.