Ipswich: Soul II Soul and The Brand New Heavies coming to town
- Credit: Archant
Legendary dance and RnB outfit Soul II Soul and acid jazz pioneers The Brand New Heavies are coming to Ipswich.
Borrowing from Philly soul, disco, reggae and 1980s’ hip-hop, Soul II Soul originally featured producer, singer and songwriter Jazzie B; producer and arranger Nellee Hooper and instrumentalist Philip “Daddae” Harvey.
Their residency at the Africa Centre in London’s Covent Garden led to a record contract with 10, a subsidiary of Virgin. Subsequent singles Fairplay and Feel Free soon attracted attention in clubs and the press.
Featuring the vocals of Caron Wheeler, who will be joining Jazzie B and a full live band at the Corn Exchange on December 7, Soul II Soul’s third single Keep on Movin’ reached the UK top 10. Back to Life, also featuring Wheeler; did the same.
Lighting up the dance scene with their mix of jazz, funk and soul for more than two decades, The Brand New Heavies visit to the Regent on May 31 coincides with the April 15 release of their first full studio album in seven years, Forward.
You may also want to watch:
“We have the grounding and the history. We started as a live band and did it hard, just playing clubs, pubs, anywhere that would have us for a long time before we got a record deal. We weren’t just centred around a record and that’s the way it should be,” says Jan Kincaid.
Tickets for Soul II Soul are on sale now. Tickets for The Brand New Heavies go on sale next Thursday.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
- 10 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
For the latest entertainment and events news, follow me on Twitter @WhatsonWayne