Lavenham prepares for Dickensian-style Christmas fair running from December 4 to 6
- Credit: Archant
The clocks are set to be turned back 200 years as Christmas ‘Dickensian style’ comes to west Suffolk.
Plans for a magical three-day festive fair in the medieval village of Lavenham are gathering pace.
The event will begin on the evening of December 4 with the lighting of the village Christmas tree in Market Place and the arrival of Santa who will be visiting the village throughout the whole weekend.
The festivities and entertainment will continue in the Market Place, the historic Guildhall and Little Hall through to the Sunday, with organisers promising something for everyone.
Martine Crepy, from the Christmas fair organising committee, said: “Lavenham is a magical place 365 days of the year but we are working hard to ensure there is an extra sprinkle of festive celebration for our big weekend event.”
You may also want to watch:
Around 80 stalls will sell everything from unique gifts, clothing and stocking fillers to festive food and drink stalls. A big wheel, offering bird’s eyes views over the historic village and surrounding countryside, will be returning to the fair while entertainment during the course of the weekend will include the Lavenham Upbeat Contemporary Choir, Peter Hepworth and famous accordionist Martina Schwarz.
A grand raffle with prizes donated by the Great House, Weavers’ House Spa at the Swan Hotel, Lavenham Clinic and Lavenham Photographic has also begun with tickets priced £1. The fair will run from 5.30pm to 8.30pm on the Friday, December 4 and from 11am to 5pm on the Saturday. On the Sunday, it will be open from 11am to 4pm.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 5 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay