Maggi makes a wave at Buckingham Palace
Suffolk artist Maggi Hambling added a splash of colour to proceedings at Buckingham Palace yesterday when she received her CBE from The Queen. The Suffolk-based artist, who created the controversial Scallop on Aldeburgh beach, is currently exhibiting the latest of her North Sea paintings in Cambridge and has a new series of bronze wave sculptures on show in London.
Maggi, who was born in Hadleigh and educated at Amberfield School, Nacton, before attending Ipswich Art School and the Slade School of Art in London, said that the honour was bestowed upon her for services to art.
Speaking earlier this year, she said: “I had no idea that this was on the cards at all. A letter arrived here telling me that I had been put forward for the CBE and I was just delighted and surprised. I have absolutely no idea who nominated me but I am very honoured and very grateful.”
Maggi, who had already been awarded the OBE in 1995, said: “I am presuming that my elevation has been in some part to Her Majesty The Queen recognising my contribution to public art, particularly with Scallop.
“I have devoted my life to art since the age of 14. Art is indeed a serious business. Food feeds the stomach, feeds the body. Art feeds the spirit. Without art what sort of civilisation would we be? This honour recognises the importance of the arts.”
You may also want to watch:
Speaking after the investiture she said that seeing the soldiers collecting their medals was the most moving part of the ceremony.
She said: “The war just seems to be going on without end and I thought they were very impressive.’’
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 9 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Shoplifter caught stealing £829 worth of alcohol from Sainsbury's