Nile Rodgers, Newmarket Nights review: ‘He is still a force to be reckoned with’
- Credit: Andy Tatt andytatt.com
Legendary Nile Rodgers and Chic thrilled thousands of fans with their disco music.
The composer and guitarist, who belies his advancing years, is still a force to be reckoned with along with his two dynamic singers, Kimberley Davies and Folami, plus a pulsating six-piece band all suitably attired in white.
And they rolled out hit after hit during their 100-minute set which featured “My Forbidden Lover” “Everybody Dance”, “Dance Dance Dance”, “Le Freak” and a wonderfully phenominal rendition of “I Want Your Love” with Davies’ fantastic vocals fronting the band.
Then it was time for Rodgers’ compositions for other artists including Diana Ross’ “I’m Coming Out’ and “Upside Down”; Sister Sledge’s “Greatest Dancer”, “We Are Family”, “Lost In Music and “I’m Thinking of You”; Madonna’s “Like A Virgin” and David Bowie’s “Let’s Dance”, performed by drummer Ralph Rolle who encouraged audience participation to a pulsating crescendo.
READ MORE: 11 great shows coming to the Ipswich Regent this seasonThe 65-year-old co-founder of Chic and multiple Grammy winner completed the evening with his rendition of Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky” and ended the party atmosphere with “Good Times”.
It was an evening to remember at the July Course of the home of horse racing from a man who has won Chic 11 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominations and his work in the Chic organisation along with his various productions reflected him as being in the vanguard of contemporary music.
You may also want to watch:
On April 7, last year, Rodgers was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and received an award for Musical Excellence and only last month he was appointed chairman of the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
Truly a man with a mountain of musical credentials.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain