Review: Dawes, Ipswich Regent
Being a support band is at best difficult. Nobody has bought a ticket to see you and much of the audience have yet to take their seats and many who have are texting on their phones.
The Los Angeles-based band were supporting Mumford and Sons and soon drew the crowd’s attention with a great 40-minute set.
They have been together since 2009 and are touring to promote their second album Nothing Is Wrong, which was released in August.
They are made up of singer-guitarist Taylor Goldsmith, his brother Griffin on drums, keyboardist Tay Strathairn and bassist Wylie Gelber giving a blend of folk, country and rock with a driving guitar sound.
Opening with If I Wanted Someone, which has a Neil Young style guitar riff, the crowd was with them from then. One of the strongest numbers was When My Times comes from their first album North Hills.
You may also want to watch:
Legendary singer songwriter Jackson Browne has invited the band to both support and back him on a European tour.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill