Review: Joe Stilgoe Big Band, Snape Proms, August 23
- Credit: Archant
The concert hall at Snape Maltings is famous around the world for its size and acoustics, but even this impressive venue seemed to struggle to contain the joyous sound created by jazz singer/songwriter Joe Stilgoe and his fabulously talented band.
Weaving together a nostalgic selection of movie classics with a few of his own catchy compositions, the stylish and charismatic Stilgoe charmed a packed audience with his cheeky banter and clever inclusion of Suffolk references in some of the well-known numbers.
One crowd favourite saw the usual touring trio (Tom Farmer on double bass and Ben Reynolds on drums) at the front of the stage as they seamlessly morphed ‘It Had To Be You’ into ‘I Wanna Be Like You’ from Jungle Book – genius.
Other highlights included a brilliant Top Hat duet with special guest Giacomo Smith on clarinet – featuring ‘tap dancing’ on drums – and an improvised mash-up using song suggestions from the audience (Superman theme, Wheels on the Bus, The Way You Look Tonight etc) which clearly showcased Stilgoe’s extraordinary talent.
Catch him in September performing Songs on Film at the High Tide Festival in Aldeburgh – you’ll be pleased you did.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 3 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 4 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 5 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 6 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
- 7 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 8 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 9 Delays on A12 after crash near Saxmundham
- 10 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault