Review: Rhod Gilbert, The Man With The Flaming Battenberg Tattoo, The Ipswich Regent, June 8
His rants are legendary and while comedy’s Mr Angry may have mellowed he’s no less funny.
Revisiting his rage-fuelled misadventures, this was an hilarious look at how you shouldn’t let toilet roll holders, baked potatoes, bath foam and egg and cress sandwiches grind you down.
Centred around the lead-up to a make or break trip with his on-off fianc�e and how getting a tattoo he didn’t want proved not to be the icing on the cake, I was crying with laughter most of the show.
And it was a long show; not that it really felt it.
He got sidetracked early on while recounting how he and his tour manager got lost in Ipswich, taking in sights they’d rather have not.
You may also want to watch:
If the gentleman they met is reading this, sir, it may be time to switch to pyjamas.
The fact nobody in the audience could tell Gilbert how he got lost because nobody seemed to be from Ipswich sparked an eye-wateringly funny explanation of how tours actually work.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
Even funnier was him encouraging two people sat a way back to take a couple of empty seats on the front row, only for the owners to arrive late - prompting the first two to trudge back to their original spots while Gilbert apologised for their inconsiderate behaviour.
It’s the first time I’ve seen him live, I hope it’s not the last.