Review: Sounds Familiar : Ipswich Operatic and Dramatic Society, Seckford Theatre, Woodbridge, until October 24
- Credit: Archant
It felt that Christmas had come early. Over two hours of show tunes and I knew nearly all of them.
Sounds Familiar is the annual performance by IODS that gives the company members an opportunity to take centre stage and pay tribute to some of the best and well -loved songs ever written. IODS gives us an immensely warm, enjoyable and entertaining evening from start to finish.
One thing stands out with this production : IODS certainly know a thing or two about this business called “show”. The costumes throughout, for this very large cast, were simply staggering in the attention to detail, (fans of sequins, sparkles and sailors will not be disappointed!)
Each section of the show is themed and many numbers were accompanied by delightful projections of the original IODS productions. This gives a real sense of poignancy. A commitment to theatre at whatever level is a lifelong love affair and the performers on stage paying homage to IODS’ past was moving.
The ensemble moments raised the roof throughout and individual numbers certainly did their shows justice. The energy and commitment of the performers overall was very strong and the standard of singing remained impressive throughout with some stand –out performances.
You may also want to watch:
West Side Story’s “Tonight” and a Jersey Boys medley saw the younger company members shine in both singing and characterisation. “As long as He needs me” from Oliver, “Losing My Mind” from A Little Night Music and a Witches of Eastwick number were simply outstanding.
The West medley showcased a taster of Oklahoma, the 2016 IODS production. It promises to be a good one, however I leave the theatre vaguely haunted . Was there really ever a “Titanic The Musical”?!
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 10 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw