Review: The Magic Fishbone, Red Rose Chain, Christchurch Mansion, Ipswich, until January 13.
Dickens and Red Rose, what a winning Christmas combination.
Writer and director Joanna Carrick’s adaptation of this lesser known tale is fantastic festive fun for little kids and big ones, like me, too.
When Alicia - the excellent Anna Doolan - isn’t looking after her countless siblings she’s turning countless creditors away from her feckless father’s door.
Enter magic fishbone Clyde; an amazing puppet crafted by the company’s Jimmy Grimes and sublimely voiced by Joel Johnson.
He would’ve stolen many other shows; but the writing, set design and songs coupled with the three-strong cast’s performances made for a beautifully balanced piece.
You may also want to watch:
Hilarious and moving in equal measure, there are too many laugh out loud moments to mention. Scott Ellis - who, like Johnson, played multiple roles to perfection - provided more than his fair share of them.
The ideal Christmas gift; read more about the show and Jimmy Grimes online.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship