Soldiers sleep no more
Where Soldiers Sleep, The Heritage Arts Company, Landguard Fort, Felixstowe, until July 26Heritage Arts Company is a new enterprise, set up to bring our heritage to life.
Where Soldiers Sleep, The Heritage Arts Company, Landguard Fort, Felixstowe, until July 26
Heritage Arts Company is a new enterprise, set up to bring our heritage to life.
Where Soldiers Sleep is a site-specific play that combines three real ghost tales and lights up the Landguard like a beacon.
As the show opens, the old courtyard rattles and pings to the building's song and story, but before we can grasp at the meaning, the air raid sounds and we rush for cover, diving down into the maze of white washed tunnels that thread the fort.
You may also want to watch:
It's apparent that each room holds a secret. A whisper of infidelity here, a rumour of betrayal there: snippets of conversation tempt us onwards as we puzzle out the hidden past of our surroundings.
This is fast paced and exciting drama, that makes you a part of the action. The old military defences get a real theatrical makeover, giant rooms are shrunk to the light of a single candle; horizontal walls are magically scaled; and darkened caverns glow with Hitchcock style images of psychological tension.
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 5 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 Crash between two motorbikes
- 8 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 9 New-look Cobbold Stand finished - and what a difference it makes!
- 10 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing
And as you walk from candle lit interior towards the leaping flares under the stars, there's always a sense that the ghosts are there beside you.
A dynamite little show with a touch of horror thrill, which will leave a strong image in the mind and a tingle in the spine.