St Osyth: Gogglebox star George Gilbey flying high after charity date
- Credit: Archant
A TV viewer from BAFTA-winning show Gogglebox went on a date as part of a charity fundraiser.
George Gilbey, 30, was one of the stars of the Channel 4 programme and became a celebrity overnight.
He was filmed along with mum Linda and step-father Pete McGarry watching and reacting to the TV in their family home in St Osyth.
Avid fan, single mum Hayley Lloyd, 39, is trying to raise £1,500 for the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign, and tweeted Mr Gilbey asking if he would join her on a date if she beat her target by £500.
He agreed and raised the stakes, offering to join her in a charity skydive if she raised £3,000.
You may also want to watch:
Miss Lloyd broke her goal and the pair went on a date on Saturday, before their skydive in September.
Mr Gilbey took Miss Lloyd ice skating in Chelmsford, before dinner at Hold the Anchovies in Witham.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 8 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
He said: “I didn’t think the money would go up so fast, but I am glad that now this programme has given me a platform I am able to help people.
“I’m not doing anything big, just jumping from a plane and having a date.
“I certainly didn’t think I would get a date out of the show.
“The first time we appeared the narration was something like ‘George has not had a girlfriend for a year’ and I thought I would never get one after that.
“Hayley is a really nice girl, and since I said ‘yes’ she has gone full steam ahead with fundraising which is just brilliant.
“She has not sat back and watched the money come in.
“The date went well, she is a really lovely girl, and we are going to take it easy and see each other at the skydive.”
To donate to the appeal visit www.justgiving.com/Hayley-Lloyd1.