St Osyth: Gogglebox star George Gilbey flying high after charity date
- Credit: Archant
A TV viewer from BAFTA-winning show Gogglebox went on a date as part of a charity fundraiser.
George Gilbey, 30, was one of the stars of the Channel 4 programme and became a celebrity overnight.
He was filmed along with mum Linda and step-father Pete McGarry watching and reacting to the TV in their family home in St Osyth.
Avid fan, single mum Hayley Lloyd, 39, is trying to raise £1,500 for the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign, and tweeted Mr Gilbey asking if he would join her on a date if she beat her target by £500.
He agreed and raised the stakes, offering to join her in a charity skydive if she raised £3,000.
Miss Lloyd broke her goal and the pair went on a date on Saturday, before their skydive in September.
Mr Gilbey took Miss Lloyd ice skating in Chelmsford, before dinner at Hold the Anchovies in Witham.
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 3 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 4 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 5 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 6 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 7 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 8 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 9 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 10 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
He said: “I didn’t think the money would go up so fast, but I am glad that now this programme has given me a platform I am able to help people.
“I’m not doing anything big, just jumping from a plane and having a date.
“I certainly didn’t think I would get a date out of the show.
“The first time we appeared the narration was something like ‘George has not had a girlfriend for a year’ and I thought I would never get one after that.
“Hayley is a really nice girl, and since I said ‘yes’ she has gone full steam ahead with fundraising which is just brilliant.
“She has not sat back and watched the money come in.
“The date went well, she is a really lovely girl, and we are going to take it easy and see each other at the skydive.”
To donate to the appeal visit www.justgiving.com/Hayley-Lloyd1.