Torchlight tales spark imagination
Bedroom Stories, Fergus Rougier, Sir John Mills Theatre, Pulse Fringe Festival, Ipswich, June 9.Despite a low key, unpromising start this show really took off as three “dream” stories were told by Rougier - in words and very imaginative movement.
Bedroom Stories, Fergus Rougier, Sir John Mills Theatre, Pulse Fringe Festival, Ipswich, June 9.
Despite a low key, unpromising start this show really took off as three “dream” stories were told by Rougier - in words and very imaginative movement.
A tale of a cow which escapes from an abattoir was set out using a hand-held light which created a ghostly storyteller.
You may also want to watch:
But the most dramatic episode involved a love affair and a forced meeting with the partner's ex-boyfriend. Here, Rougier was at his most energetic, bursting with ideas in a dance which was at times spellbinding.
That all followed a slow-paced start in a leisurely and obscure story about a man and his shadow.
- 1 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 2 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 4 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 6 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 7 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 8 Matchday Live: Goalless at the break in first game of a new era at Town
- 9 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 10 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
Inventiveness is the performer's aim in devising ways of communicating a narrative by relying heavily on movement and facial expression and also music, most of it delivered by the PA system and very upbeat and penetrating. However, there was also a pretty melody on this multi-talented performer's accordion.
Actor, musician, dancer and dramatist; Rougier is all of these and more. But the show did not really hang comfortably together as a single piece of work.
He changed costume on stage, deliberately distancing the act from the actor, but these breaks may be better performed with some style - using another part of his incredibly vivid imagination.