Waveney Light Opera Group staging My Fair Lady at Beccles Public Hall
- Credit: Archant
Waveney Light Opera Group hopes audiences will get on their plates of meat for its production of My Fair Lady.
Based on George Bernard Shaw’s Pygmalion, with book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe; it’s the story of impoverished Cockney flower-girl Eliza Doolittle who wants to better herself.
Arrogant phonetics teacher Henry Higgins takes her on for a bet, trying to pass her off as an upper-class lady at Ascot and the Embassy ball. But things don’t go as planned.
Waveney Light Opera Group has spent the last five months rehearsing. Numbers include Wouldn’t It Be Loverly, I’m Getting Married in the Morning and I Could Have Danced All Night.
The original 1956 Broadway and London production set a record for the longest run of any show on Broadway up to that time. It became a classic film starring Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn as Eliza.
See My Fair Lady at Beccles Public Hall, April 24–28.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 5 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue