What to do across Suffolk and Essex - your family days out guide
- Credit: Archant
From town and country shows to Anglo Saxon crafts and wrestling, there is plenty to keep families busy across the region today. For more ideas, check out our packed Event guide in in the paper every Friday and our entertainment writer @WhatsonWayne on Twitter.
Colchester Town and Country Show, Lower Castle Park, today, 10am-5pm
Organisers have laid on more family entertainment than ever, including a children’s farm where you can meet lots of spring baby animals as well as a welcome return for the Suffolk Punch Heavy Horse Display Team.
Other activities include a dog and duck show, living history, ferret racing, Devilstick Peat childrens’ entertainer and circus workshop, the have-a-go Totally Terriers display team, bottle feeding lambs and kids and goat show, miniature ponies and birds of prey flying displays, arts, crafts, gifts trade stands and marquees with besom broom making, spinning and weaving and pole latheing among the demonstrations. Today the event hosts the companion dog show. Visitors are invited to bring along a canine friend and have a go, with all proceeds from entries going to Marie Curie Cancer Care.
Craeftiga, the Sutton Hoo Festival of Craftsmanship, Sutton Hoo, near Woodbridge, today.
Inspired by the Sutton Hoo treasures, the festival celebrates the skills and legacy of the Anglo Saxon craftsman - from metalwork to weaving and much more. There will also be children’s craft activities and the chance to climb aboard the Anglo Saxon replica ship Sae Wylfing. From 1.30pm-2.30pm todaythere will be an informal talk and handling session in the exhibition hall where you can see replicas of the Sutton Hoo artefacts and get a sense of how the original items would have looked and felt 1,400 years ago.
Click here for more details.
Megaslam Wrestling, Brackenbury Sports Centre, 2.30pm, today.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
- 5 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 6 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 7 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 8 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 9 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
- 10 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
Featuring competitors from around the world, it’s been touring since 2009; selling out shows across the country. It was started by Brad Taylor, who used to compete himself.
Matches will include the Megaslam World Championship clash, tag team thriller and this year’s spectacular Megaslam rumble which will feature all the wrestlers in the ring at the same time.
The Framlingham Country Show, Framlingham College, 10am-5pm, today
From daredevil arena displays and fun dog shows to mouth-watering cookery demonstrations and rural crafts, there’s plenty to see and do at this year’s show. Click here for more details.
Love theatre? Click here for our shows round-up.