Review: Queen of the Night proves she’s every woman at Suffolk spectacular
- Credit: Archant
Whitney Houston. What a voice. But can Queen of the Night tribute Shanice Smith live up to the legend?
Whitney Houston will forever be a tough act to follow, so I knew heading to the Ipswich Regent tonight that tribute act Shanice Smith had her work cut out for her.
There is no doubt that she’s a performer. She opened with Whitney’s So Emotional, which got the show off to an upbeat start. It wasn’t long before the audience was on their feet, dancing and singing along.
Equally, I had goosebumps during many of the ballads.
Tracks included Saving All My Love For You, Didn’t We Almost Have It All, One Moment in Time and, of course, Queen of the Night.
You may also want to watch:
But it was one of her more recent tracks, It’s Not Right, But It’s OK, that had almost the whole theatre on their feet.
Among her best sung songs tonight included I Have Nothing and I Wanna Dance With Somebody, but it was I Will Always Love You that stole the show for me, and gained Shanice a standing ovation.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
There’s no denying that our Queen of the Night can sing and is extremely talented.
But is she as good as Whitney? If you’d asked me at the end of the first half I would have said the jury’s out. But by the end, she was fantastic.
I asked my guests for the night for their three word reviews.
‘What a show,’ said one. ‘Full of energy,’ said another. ‘Not quite Whitney,’ said the last.
Mine? ‘She won’t disappoint.’