Toure shatters Potters’ FA Cup dream
JON Walters’ dreams of winning the FA Cup with Stoke City are over after losing to Manchester City 1-0 in today’s final.
The Stoke striker, who started the season as captain of Ipswich Town, was unable to break down a resolute City defence, marshalled superbly by Nigel De Jong in front of them.
Yaya Toure was the Manchester matchwinner, following up his semi-final winner with the only goal in an intriguing, rather than absorbing, final.
The Ivory Coast midfielder blasted home from 10 yards after a spell of pinball in the Stoke penalty area on 73 minutes.
It was a deserved win for Roberto Mancini’s men who were denied a healthier victory by a string of great saves from Stoke keeper Thomas Sorensen.
You may also want to watch:
As for Walters and Stoke, who were second best for most of today’s showpiece, they can console themselves with European football next season.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 4 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 5 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 6 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 7 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 8 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 9 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 10 Family 'devastated' after thatched cottage badly damaged in fire