Tributes paid to departing Tanner
STEVE Tanner has stepped down as referee development officer at Suffolk FA after less than eight months in the post.
The former Premier League referee, who officiated at the League One play-off final at Wembley in May, made the difficult decision after a “great deal of soul-searching”, the county football association has confirmed.
In a statement, Suffolk FA said Tanner had found it increasingly difficult to juggle his responsibilities on the National List, where he remains a Football League referee, his RDO role and his family life.
Phil Knight, chief executive of the county FA, said: “Steve has made a decision for the good of his family. It cannot have been easy for him leaving his wife and young daughter each week and it is to his credit that he served the county so well in the time that he was with us.
“I wish him well for the future and hope he has fond memories of his time in Suffolk.”
You may also want to watch:
Tanner joined Suffolk FA at the end of January boasting extensive experience of both the national and international game.
A strong advocate of improving all standards of refereeing in the county, Tanner was especially proud of the fantastic work of the county’s referee academy as well as the number of people taking up officiating football matches.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 9 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
Suffolk FA’s chairman Mick Pearce said: “We are disappointed to lose Steve but sometimes in life family have to come first and that is why this is the right decision for Steve to make.
“Following the excellent work Steve, and former RDO Phil Knight did before him, the new person will have quite a daunting challenge to follow.”
For more details on the RDO vacancy, contact Phil Knight on 07770 642675 or email@example.com.