Sporting memories - can you spot yourself in our basketball photos?
- Credit: Tudor Morgan-Owen/Archant
Were you a keen basketball player as a youngster, or did you enjoy watching games?
Today we are looking back at the popular sport around the area over the years.
Back in the 1980s and 90s, the Ipswich Bobcats women's basketball team were major players on the national basketball scene, and our gallery features photos of the club.
Also featured here are basketball events, tournaments and school teams from around the area, from the 1970s through to the 2000s.
Can you spot yourself or any of your friends or family in the photos?
The sport of basketball was invented in 1891 in Springfield, Massachusetts by a Canadian PE instructor, James Naismith, who wanted to find an indoor sport for winter and also one that would cause less injuries than football.
You may also want to watch:
It quickly caught on and became popular during the 20th century. The sport was taken up in England within a year of being invented, with the YMCA promoting the sport here.
- 1 Group fined for travelling more than 10 miles to get a takeaway in lockdown
- 2 Tributes are paid to 'inspirational' teacher Gaynor Jacobs
- 3 Senior Suffolk doctor admits to problems in local vaccine rollout
- 4 Suffolk gets its first ever Michelin Star
- 5 'It's up to Marcus what he does' - Lambert reacts to Sunderland defeat
- 6 First phase of new 2,000 home site approved
- 7 Hundreds of new homes approved for rural village
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 1-0 home loss to Sunderland
- 9 Noise disruption possible as low-flying RAF jets simulate training
- 10 Vaccination centre programme in Essex 'not working' says critic