Sporting memories - can you spot yourself in our basketball photos?
- Credit: Tudor Morgan-Owen/Archant
Were you a keen basketball player as a youngster, or did you enjoy watching games?
Today we are looking back at the popular sport around the area over the years.
Back in the 1980s and 90s, the Ipswich Bobcats women's basketball team were major players on the national basketball scene, and our gallery features photos of the club.
Also featured here are basketball events, tournaments and school teams from around the area, from the 1970s through to the 2000s.
Can you spot yourself or any of your friends or family in the photos?
The sport of basketball was invented in 1891 in Springfield, Massachusetts by a Canadian PE instructor, James Naismith, who wanted to find an indoor sport for winter and also one that would cause less injuries than football.
You may also want to watch:
It quickly caught on and became popular during the 20th century. The sport was taken up in England within a year of being invented, with the YMCA promoting the sport here.
- 1 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 3 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 6 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 7 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 8 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 9 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash