Pubs and restaurants devastated by ‘crushing blow’ of new tier rules
Hospitality bosses have complained the sector has been ‘unfairly’ singled out with the toughest Covid restrictions under the new tier system.
In Tier 2 pubs and restaurants will only serve alcohol alongside meals and call last orders at 10pm with closing time at 11pm.
In Tier 3 they will completely close aside from takeaway and delivery.
Nick Mackenzie, chief executive of the Bury St Edmunds based brewer Greene King, said: “Yet again, the UK pubs sector must pick itself up off the floor after another crushing blow.
“We’ve invested millions of pounds to make our pubs safe throughout this pandemic but today it feels like pubs have been unfairly singled out once again with increased restrictions that will make pubs across the country unviable through the most important month of the year.”
Other industry bosses called the decision ‘devastating’ and ‘rotten’, saying the restrictions will ‘destroy’ the sector.
The boss of Revolution – a bar chain with a venue in Ipswich’s Cattle Market – Rob Pitcher, has called for more support from the government to protect businesses affected by the new restrictions.
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 3 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 'This club is going to be flying next season' - Dyer on 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury and Vincent-Young injury
- 9 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 10 WATCH as man calmly rips wooden gate off hinges before walking away
He said: “Now, Tier 2 is essentially the old Tier 3, while the new Tier 3 is basically just lockdown again.
“Hospitality has been singled out so I am looking forward to seeing Rishi Sunak come forward with a significant package of support to help our businesses.
“If he doesn’t there will be hundreds of perfectly viable businesses going bust.”
The British Beer & Pub Association claim Tier 2 restrictions alone will make 90% of pubs unviable and say they will only be able to operate at a loss.