The day we met Princess Diana at Suffolk Show
- Credit: Archant
It’s not every day you get to meet the most famous woman of her era.
But back in 1986, Paul Tuckwell and his team did exactly that. Tuckwells farm machinery dealership, based in Worlingworth, was at the Suffolk Show, and that year the company outdid itself by scooping the best trade stand and best stand awards.
It was already looking like a great year – but to cap it all, the show’s surprise guest was none other than Princess Diana – and she was scheduled to meet the winning team.
MORE – Suffolk Show cancelled ‘with great sadness’ due to coronavirusThe family-run business had just two hours to prepare before the celebrated royal touched down by helicopter to begin her tour of the show.
Thirty-four years on, Paul Tuckwell recalled his brush with mega-fame at the age of 30.
“She was brilliant. As you can imagine, there was an awful lot of people milling around the stand. She came onto the stand and we had all the people lined up in front of the marquee.
You may also want to watch:
“I said: ‘Will you meet the staff?’ and she said: ‘All of them?’”
There were about 30, but undaunted, the princess stepped out to meet them. “She went along the whole lot – and spoke to several of them,” recalled Paul.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 7 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 8 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 9 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 10 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
“She was in a very good mood – delightful. She had a chat with myself and my brother (Dave) and my father (Leonard).
“Everyone was pretty buoyant after that – it’s not every day that happens.”
He recalled the “great excitement” around her arrival.
And did she live up to the hype? “She was gorgeous,” said Paul.