Coronavirus cases in UK increase by 171
- Credit: PA
The number of coronavirus cases in the UK has increased by 171 in the past 24 hours.
The new figures, released by the Department of Health and Social Care, show that 1,543 people have now tested positive for the virus, known as COVID-19.
The increase is half of that of two days ago, when 342 people tested positive.
However as many people have not been tested, it is believed there are likely to be many more cases nationally.
The most recent regional figures, last updated yesterday, show the number of people with coronavirus in the East of England is still at 71.
A further update is due later today.
The data covers the whole of the East of England, which includes Suffolk, Essex, Norfolk and a number of other counties.
MORE: Find all you need to know about the coronavirus hereTwo more additional cases were confirmed in Suffolk on Sunday, bringing the total number to three.
MORE: Join our Facebook group in Suffolk for local updatesEssex currently has 14 confirmed cases of the virus, while Norfolk has one.
- 1 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 2 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 3 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 10 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
So far 35 people are known to have died from the disease in the UK.
One person has died in Essex while receiving treatment at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford.