Crews near 24 hours on scene of large industrial unit fire
- Credit: Essex Fire and Rescue
Large amounts of recyclable material are currently still on fire as firefighters near 24 hours on the scene of a major industrial unit blaze.
Essex Fire Service has worked through the night to extinguish the blaze, which is in Convent Lane, Braintree and expect to remain on scene until at least the early evening today (Saturday, January 1).
Those in the area have been told to keep their windows and doors shut
This morning, a spokesman for Essex Fire and Rescue said: "The unit has a large amount of recyclable material in it— a real range of stuff, including cardboard.
"We are going in, pulling that material out, and extinguishing it outside. We are using a digger to remove the material from the warehouse and break it up so that it’s easier to fully extinguish.
"You’ll notice a paddling pool type thing in one of the pictures. It’s a dam containing a “surfactant” – a solution that helps the water to penetrate into burning material faster.
"There will be “smoke” throughout the day, although some of it will be steam as the burning material is extinguished.
- 1 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 2 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 3 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 4 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 5 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 6 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
- 9 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 10 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
"Because of a change in wind direction, we're particularly worried about houses in Broad Road, who should keep their doors and windows shut.
"This likely to continue until at least the early evening today."
Station manager Ben Turner added: "We'll be on the scene all day so residents will notice more smoke as we remove materials from the industrial unit and continue to extinguish the fire.
"This is nothing to worry about as we have the incident under control."
On arrival, crews reported that an industrial unit - measuring approximately 60 metres by 20 metres - was 100% alight.
Firefighters from Braintree, Colchester, Chelmsford, Halstead, Dunmow, Corringham Water Bowser and Witham Incident Command Unit have been in attendance.
On call crews from Ongar, Manningtree and Hawkwell remain at the scene.