Do you know a Star of Suffolk? Nominations open for 2019 awards
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
The search has been launched to find this year’s Stars of Suffolk – the ordinary people who do extraordinary things in the county.
It may be someone who has shown extreme bravery and courage, defied the odds, a dedicated police officer or health worker, or someone who has simply made a profound difference to the lives of others.
These are the unsung heroes who make Suffolk great – and the awards, supported by the East Anglian Daily Times and Ipswich Star – will celebrate what they do.
This year’s event was launched at Hintlesham Hall yesterday, and nominations are now being sought.
There are more than a dozen categories, and the winners will be announced at an awards ceremony at Greshams in Tuddenham Road, Ipswich, in November, hosted by BBC Radio Suffolk’s Mark Murphy.
You may also want to watch:
Last year, the overall Star of the Year award went to staff at Barking Pre-school for saving the life of four-year-old Annabel Brightwell, who collapsed after suffering a cardiac arrest.
The awards were launched by Mick Parker, of Parker Communications, 13 years ago to honour Suffolk’s bravest, most dedicated and caring individuals.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
He said: “So many people say that ‘Stars’ is the best event of the year and 2019 will be no different.
“We sprinkle stardust in the lives of so many deserving people. I’m delighted that we also have fabulous sponsors without whom we couldn’t run the awards”.
Mark Calver, of MC Contracts and who runs Greshams, added: “We’re honoured and delighted that the Stars of Suffolk Awards will take place this year at Greshams.
“We promise a wonderful evening of deserved recognition for the heroes and heroines in our community.”
Flagship Housing Group is the main event sponsor, with further sponsorship from Suffolk County Council, BBC Radio Suffolk, Cipher Crystal, Ipswich Hospital, Cottages.com, RFT, Gasway, MC Contracts, JLS Catering, Ipswich Building Society, Hudson Signs, Fred Olsen, Elmy Cycles, East of England Coop, RAF Wattisham, Ipswich Town Football Club and Suffolk Fire Service
Nominations can be made over the next five months using the online form. All selected winners will receive a trophy and a special prize.