Boy walks for six hours to support the zoo he cares about
- Credit: BEXX HUNT
A six-year-old boy has walked 25,000 steps in a day to support a zoo as he was concerned over the impact of coronavirus on the animals.
Josh Hunt, from Sudbury, enjoyed the zoo trail in his town that raised cash for Colchester Zoo, but wanted to do something else to help.
Him and his mum Bexx Hunt, former landlady of the North Street Tavern in Sudbury, talked about how it costs £25,000 a day to run the attraction and how it has been struggling with costs due to the pandemic.
They walked 25,000 steps, or about 12 miles, from Sudbury to Long Melford along the old railway line and back, taking in the town and meadows.
Bexx said she was “very” proud of him.
MORE: Check out these ‘phenomenal’ scarecrows created by families during lockdown“It’s a long way for anybody, let alone somebody of that age, and obviously with the weather as well - it was hot.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s just nice he’s thinking about other people, even though his life has been turned upside down and he’s missing his friends.
“He just said ‘I don’t want all the animals to die’.”
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 3 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 4 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 5 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 6 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 7 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
- 8 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 9 Delays on A12 after crash near Saxmundham
- 10 190 homes plan in Bramford village will meet 'rising demand' for housing
Josh, who attends St Joseph’s Catholic Primary in Sudbury, said he enjoyed going to the zoo and seeing all the animals, particularly the giraffes and monkeys.
Bexx’s mum Fran Potter also joined them on the walk, which took place last month and has raised £280.
Bexx said Josh was “an absolute trooper”.
“We got the standard ‘are we going home yet?’
“We left just before midday and hit our target by 6pm. We were out for about six hours.”
Josh, who has a gold pass for Colchester Zoo, has just enjoyed a trip there with his mum after really missing it during lockdown.