‘He didn’t get a chance here but he’ll enjoy coming back to Portman Road’ - McLoughlin to make Town return tonight
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Former Ipswich Town midfielder Shane McLoughlin returns to Portman Road this evening with AFC Wimbledon.
The young Irishman moved to the Dons in January after failing to reach the first-team at Portman Road, following two substitute appearances for the Blues.
He's appeared from the bench in all three of Wimbledon's League One games this season, with former team-mate Teddy Bishop recently backing the Irishman to work his way back up the pyramid.
"Sometimes it has to be done and you have to move on to get that first-team experience," he said.
"Shane's gone there and done really well and that's what he needed.
You may also want to watch:
"He must have been told here that he wasn't going to play and, in my opinion, once you've been told that you need to go and get first-team football.
"It doesn't matter what level that's at because you can always come back up. If you're doing well, nobody what level your club is at, there will always be people watching you.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 4 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 5 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 6 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 8 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 9 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 10 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
"I'm really pleased for Shane, he's a really good lad who didn't get a chance here but he's going to take that wherever he goes.
"I'm sure he'll enjoy coming back to play Ipswich here."