Prestigious tennis tournament cancelled due to coronavirus
- Credit: Archant
A popular annual summer tennis tournament in Suffolk has seen its 2020 edition cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Organisers of the Framlingham Tennis Tournament, due to be held in the first week of August, have announced the “almost unprecedented” move of scrapping the prestigious event, which dates back to 1883.
But the 2021 edition will be held at its spiritual home at ‘The Back’ at Framlingham College after the previous two tournaments at an alternative venue, chairman Jeremy Scowsill said.
He added: “It is with great regret that in the light of the current coronavirus pandemic that the committee, who have been in close contact with the Lawn Tennis Association and Framlingham College, have taken the almost unprecedented step of cancelling this year’s Framlingham Tennis Tournament.
“However, we are already looking forward to the 127th tournament, which will now commence on Monday, August 2 2021.
You may also want to watch:
“This will be the year that we will be returning back to ‘The Back’.”
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 5 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 6 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused
- 7 Large scratches left on cars all parked on same road overnight
- 8 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 9 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 10 Incoming Town CEO Ashton 'set to poach Bristol City head of football operations' - report