Prestigious tennis tournament cancelled due to coronavirus
- Credit: Archant
A popular annual summer tennis tournament in Suffolk has seen its 2020 edition cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Organisers of the Framlingham Tennis Tournament, due to be held in the first week of August, have announced the “almost unprecedented” move of scrapping the prestigious event, which dates back to 1883.
But the 2021 edition will be held at its spiritual home at ‘The Back’ at Framlingham College after the previous two tournaments at an alternative venue, chairman Jeremy Scowsill said.
He added: “It is with great regret that in the light of the current coronavirus pandemic that the committee, who have been in close contact with the Lawn Tennis Association and Framlingham College, have taken the almost unprecedented step of cancelling this year’s Framlingham Tennis Tournament.
“However, we are already looking forward to the 127th tournament, which will now commence on Monday, August 2 2021.
“This will be the year that we will be returning back to ‘The Back’.”
- 1 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Stanley win
- 2 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 3 'It's an important win' - McKenna on 2-1 victory against Accrington
- 4 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 5 'He's made massive strides here' - Town recall striker Simpson from Swindon
- 6 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-1 win v Accrington
- 8 "I love him... I think he’s absolutely brilliant' - Chaplin on Town boss McKenna
- 9 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 10 Town loanee Kenlock scores first professional goal on Colchester debut