Dramatic fall from favour for ex-Town star Pitman as Pompey prepare for play-offs
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Former Ipswich Town striker Brett Pitman should be preparing for the League One play-offs with Portsmouth - but instead he’s been exiled by Pompey and appears certain to leave the club.
Pitman, who started the season as Pompey skipper for a third-straight year, hasn’t featured for Kenny Jackett’s promotion challengers since December, in a dramatic fall from favour.
Now, as Portsmouth prepare for their League One play-off semi-final first leg clash with Oxford on Friday, July 3, Pitman’s training on his own.
It’s not the first time he’s been exiled either - he was forced to train with former club Bournemouth’s U21’s in January.
Despite the fact that the soon to be out of contract striker - who’s scored 41 goals in 99 games for Pompey – isn’t part of his squad, Jackett insists that the door is still open for Pitman, 32.
You may also want to watch:
He told The News: “I will use Brett if I need to, but at the moment I have quite a few forwards.
“If I think it’s right, I will call on him. He wasn’t involved against Reading (a recent friendly) and hasn’t trained with us.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 8 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
“The door is open. In terms of where it is for Brett, if he is actually involved he will be okay with that.
“He is training on his own at the moment. We can monitor his fitness and he is keeping fit.
“We have forwards, the likes of Reeco (Hackett-Fairchild) has a chance and an opportunity as well. We are quite well off for forwards at the moment.
“It’s not necessarily about Brett being out of contract soon. It’s just my choice on the group and the squad, as it is at the moment.’
Pitman left Portman Road in the summer of 2017 after two seasons, having scored 15 goals in 70 games for Town.