Ipswich Town could turn to Bolton keeper Matthews if Bialkowski departs this summer
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Ipswich Town could move for Bolton Wanderers goalkeeper Remi Matthews if Bartosz Bialkowski departs this summer, we understand.
Matthews still has a year remaining on his Bolton contract but, with the Trotters currently in administration and set to start next season with a 12-point deduction in League One, he could potentially move on.
The 25-year-old, who began his career with Norwich City but never made a senior appearance for the Canaries, is understood to be targeted in addition to Gillingham's Tomas Holy who last month.
It is likely to be a summer of change between the sticks at Portman Road, with a number of Championship clubs understood to be interested in Bialkowski and Dean Gerken released at the end of his deal.
Birmingham have been linked with a potential move in the national media, having attempted to sign Bialkowski for £3million last summer.
You may also want to watch:
The St Andrew's side are understood to remain admirers of the 31-year-old but, given Garry Monk is likely to be limited to free transfers and loans this summer, he's likely to be beyond their financial reach.
A handful of clubs are understood to have made enquiries during the last fortnight regarding Bialkowski but are yet to make formal offers.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 7 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
Should Bialkowski move on, with the Pole open to the idea of a fresh challenge after five years in Suffolk and a number of Championship clubs understood to be interested, Matthews could be a prime target.
The Blues are understood to have compiled a long list of goalkeeping targets this summer with Exeter's Christy Pym, who has since joined Peterborough, understood to have been on that list.
Town boss Paul Lambert is understood to be keen to carry three goalkeepers in his squad next season, with Holy and academy graduate Harry Wright currently on the books in addition to Bialkowski.
Town are reported to be close to signing released West Brom goalkeeper Adam Przybek by TWTD, with the teenager set to join the Blues' Under 23 squad rather than pushing for a first-team place.