No Ipswich interest in linked striker Defoe
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town are not interested in signing former England international striker Jermain Defoe.
The 39-year-old is a free agent after leaving Rangers earlier this month and has been linked with the Blues by Sky Sports, who say Town are keen on a move to the end of the season.
Sunderland, Charlton and Oxford have also been linked.
But we understand there is no Town interest in the striker and no move will be made at a time when the Blues have Macauley Bonne, James Norwood, Joe Pigott and Kayden Jackson in the striking ranks.
Defoe’s name was discussed at Portman Road in the summer, when Town were assembling their squad under former manager Paul Cook, thought it quickly became apparent his wages would not fit into the Blues’ budget and no move was made.
He subsequently renewed his deal with Rangers.
Meanwhile, Town remain close to completing the permanent signing of Christian Walton from Brighton, with paperwork issues still needing to be resolved.
The goalkeeper has been on loan with the Blues during the first half of this season, with a deal agreed to bring him to Portman Road on a two-and-a-half year contract.
- 1 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 2 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 3 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 4 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 5 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 6 Town take up option on Tyreece Simpson... plus two other youngsters update
- 7 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 8 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 9 Baby Elsie in ship-shape despite dramatic birth in car at Sutton Hoo
- 10 Teenager arrested after six people injured on university campus
The contract will also include the option for a 12-month extension.