‘We got away with murder last year... now it’s time to deliver’ - Chambers on Town players’ debt to fans
- Credit: Archant
Luke Chambers has admitted the Ipswich Town players ‘got away with murder’ last season and knows a fast start is required in League One to repay the club’s loyal fans.
The Blues were relegated to the third tier with just five wins to their name during a disastrous campaign, but were backed throughout as the club's supporters provided a positive environment in which to play.
Chambers knows he and his team-mates are indebted to their fans but is well aware that it is now time for them to deliver on the field.
"The supporters will expect a reaction when we get going after last season and rightly so," Chambers told the club website.
"I've said it before that as players we got away with 'murder' last year, with a positive environment about the place even though we weren't winning games.
You may also want to watch:
"That won't last long next season though and we will need players to step up and deliver.
"We will need the younger players to do that and we also need those experienced players who have been there before and know the league to lead the way.
- 1 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 2 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 3 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 4 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 6 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 7 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 8 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 9 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 10 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
"It's an opportunity to bounce back at the first time of asking and that has to be our aim.
"When the players come back for pre-season, I'll be saying 'we're not here to have a fun time. We're here to win matches and get out of this league'. That will be the message I'll be saying."
The fixture list for next season will be revealed on Thursday, June 20.