‘He’s young, athletic and strong... he fits the mould of the club’ - Lambert on imminent Vincent-Young signing
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Paul Lambert believes Kane Vincent-Young is the perfect fit for Ipswich Town as the club works to complete a deal for the Colchester full-back.
The Blues have had an offer, believed to be in the region of £500,000 for the 23-year-old, who was at the club yesterday to meet with Lambert and discuss details of a potential move before returning this morning.
Lambert, who insisted there is no chance of the defender being involved at Peterborough tomorrow, is excited by the potential addition and believes he fits what the club is trying to do.
"Hopefully everything goes ok with medicals and the other bits and pieces, so hopefully that goes through," Lambert said.
"It wasn't just right-back because there are a few positions where we're not strong enough. Myles is the only left-back we have and if Kane comes he can play there as well. It's not his favourite position but we don't have cover in certain areas.
Lambert continued: "I obviously saw him play against ourselves (in pre-season) and he fits the mould of the club.
"He's young, athletic, strong and has played a lot of games after having a good upbringing at Tottenham.
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 5 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 6 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 7 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 8 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 9 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 10 Parents’ fury as bouncy castle business leaves children in the lurch
"If it does happen then we've got a really good player."
When asked where he sees the versatile player, who can also play at left back and in midfield, Lambert said: "He's a right back. I know he can left back but it's not ideal for him."
Janoi Donacien has started Town's first two league games at right-back, with Lambert impressed with the former Accrington man's displays.
"He's playing well Janoi, you have to give credit where it's due and I'm happy with how he's playing," he said.
"If Kane does come then he will give us that extra bit of help."