‘He’s young, athletic and strong... he fits the mould of the club’ - Lambert on imminent Vincent-Young signing
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Paul Lambert believes Kane Vincent-Young is the perfect fit for Ipswich Town as the club works to complete a deal for the Colchester full-back.
The Blues have had an offer, believed to be in the region of £500,000 for the 23-year-old, who was at the club yesterday to meet with Lambert and discuss details of a potential move before returning this morning.
Lambert, who insisted there is no chance of the defender being involved at Peterborough tomorrow, is excited by the potential addition and believes he fits what the club is trying to do.
"Hopefully everything goes ok with medicals and the other bits and pieces, so hopefully that goes through," Lambert said.
"It wasn't just right-back because there are a few positions where we're not strong enough. Myles is the only left-back we have and if Kane comes he can play there as well. It's not his favourite position but we don't have cover in certain areas.
You may also want to watch:
Lambert continued: "I obviously saw him play against ourselves (in pre-season) and he fits the mould of the club.
"He's young, athletic, strong and has played a lot of games after having a good upbringing at Tottenham.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 5 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 6 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 7 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 8 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 9 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
"If it does happen then we've got a really good player."
When asked where he sees the versatile player, who can also play at left back and in midfield, Lambert said: "He's a right back. I know he can left back but it's not ideal for him."
Janoi Donacien has started Town's first two league games at right-back, with Lambert impressed with the former Accrington man's displays.
"He's playing well Janoi, you have to give credit where it's due and I'm happy with how he's playing," he said.
"If Kane does come then he will give us that extra bit of help."