Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Sunderland and Oxford linked to Edwards
- Credit: Archant
Sunderland and Oxford United are tracking Ipswich Town winger Gwion Edwards, it has been reported.
Football Insider claims that the League One rivals are ‘big admirers’ of the Welshman, who played 35 games for Town last season, scoring twice.
The Blues took the option to extend his deal at Portman Road for a further year last month.
Edwards arrived at Ipswich in the summer of 2018 as part of the Paul Hurst revolution, signing from Peterborough for £700,000.
Speaking on March 13, the day football was suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak, Edwards said: “I’m settled here and would like to stay. My ambition is to play again in the Championship and I know the club want to get back there as soon as they can too.
“There hasn’t been any talk yet about it. We’ve just been concentrating on the games and we’ll deal with the contract situation nearer the time. The club have the one-year option and I think they have until the third Saturday in May, or something like that, to decide if they want to trigger it.”
- 1 Major west Suffolk reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 6 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 7 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 8 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 9 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 10 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy