‘At some stage it would be great to come and play for Ipswich’ - Smith fancies a Town return one day
- Credit: Archant
Former fan favourite Tommy Smith has revealed he’d love to play for Ipswich Town again one day.
The central defender left the Blues in January 2018 to join the Colorado Rapids in America's MLS, but told BBC Radio Suffolk that he wouldn't rule out a return to Portman Road somewhere down the line.
The 29-year-old, who is currently training at Town to keep himself fit ahead of international fixtures for New Zealand, said: "Of course, everybody knows the love I've got for the club and hopefully it can be a reality in some sort of capacity.
"At some stage it would be great to come and play for Ipswich Town, whether or not that's possible, who knows?
"Contract negotiations are underway with Colorado and it looks likely that that will be get done, which is great for me personally.
You may also want to watch:
"But at some stage myself and my wife are looking to come back to England to settle. Whether that's at the end of this next contract or another time, who knows?"
Of his current training back at the Blues, Smith addded: "We've got games against Mick (McCarthy)'s Ireland and Lithuania, friendlies, so I'm looking forward to getting back into that because there haven't been games for a long while now.
MORE: Parts of it were like a bomb site' - Lambert praises Evans for splashing the cash on 'horrendous' training ground "That's the reason I've been training with the U23s, just ticking over ready for these international games."Gerard Nash and Chris Hogg down there, they've been kind enough to let me come in and obviously I can impart some of my experience on to the youngsters coming through the club at the moment."
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 5 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 6 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 7 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 8 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 9 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 10 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period