Town to face Fortuna Dusseldorf in the Interwetten Cup
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town will face Fortuna Dusseldorf in the Interwetten Cup next month.
The mini pre-season tournament will be hosted by German third-tier club SV Meppen, at the Hansch-Arena, on Sunday, July 14.
Town will face Fortuna in a 45 minute semi-final (2pm), with Meppen then playing Dutch side FC Utrecht in another 45 minute semi-final (3pm).
The losing teams will meet in a 4pm third-place play-off, while the final will kick-off at 5pm.
This will round off a 12-day trip for the Blues, Paul Lambert taking his squad to a remote training base from July 4-15. Town will start their time away by facing SC Paderborn in a friendly on Saturday, July 6 (3pm).
You may also want to watch:
Meppen is a small town, with a similar size population to Bury St Edmunds, located near the Dutch border.
It's equidistant from three major airports, with Amsterdamn, Dusseldorf and Bremen all around a two-hour drive away.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 4 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 5 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 6 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 7 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 8 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 9 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 10 Officers making 'significant progress' in Victoria Hall murder case
SV Meppen finished 13th in 3. Liga last season. The Hansch-Arena has a capacity of 13,696.
Friends from Fortuna
Fortuna Dusseldorf recently finished 10th in their first season back in the Bundesliga.
Ipswich and Fortuna have formed a close bond in recent years, with both sets of supporters making regular trips to the other. Just last month, 130 Blues fans travelled to watch Fortuna against Hannover 96.
Town lost 4-3 when facing Fortuna in a well-attended, entertaining 2015 friendly in Dusseldorf.
Managed by former Holland boss Dick Advocaat. Finished 6th in the Eredivisie last season. Town hosted them at Portman Road in a 2015 friendly, drawing 1-1.
TOWN'S 2019 FRIENDLIES
Sat, July 6 - SC Paderborn (in Steinhagen) 3pm
Sun, July 14 - Interwetten Cup (in Meppen) 2pm
Fri, July 19 - Colchester Utd (a) 7.30pm
Tues, July 23 - Notts County (a) 7pm
Sat, July 27 - Cambridge Utd (a) 1pm
OTHER KEY DATES
Thurs, June 20 - Fixture release date (9am)
Thurs, July 25 - Open Day at Portman Road
Fri/Sta, Aug 2/3 - League One opener
w/c Aug 12 - Carabao Cup round one
Mon, Sept 2 - Transfer window deadline
w/c Sept 2 - EFL Trophy round one